Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Queuing

Queuing is a nice idea that is widely practised in many western countries but it is little understood in Vietnam and certainly rare. In Hanoi where I am living now, I don't think I've seen a queue. I seem to get mad easier than 7 years ago when I first arrived. After years and many thousand times that people have pushed in front of me, I've started shouting and telling people to follow the rule.

Shopping in the supermarket is a huge drama especially during weekends, not only because many people shop at this time, but also because there is no queuing system. One popular trick is when ladies come to the cashier and ask to pay first, "I only have one item, would you mind?". It doesn't work that way lady!!! Some of the cashiers allow this practise which really make me wild and angry.

Another queuing nightmare is the Noi Bai Airport. I remember one situation two years ago when I flew to Ho Chi Minh City for Tet. I went to the airport two and a half hours in advance because I knew there would be thousands of people there at the same time. A problem came up when the Vietnam airlines staff gave our seats to their relatives or people they know and they told us that we came late and the plane had no seats left. More than 50 passengers including me shouted at the Vietnam airlines staff. We know this is a bad airline but we had no choice. Two hours later, they announced that our new flight was delayed without any excuse. We arrived in Ho Chi Minh City at 1 am, 5 hours later than our plan.

I'm growing very tired of these situations!!!!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's called priority queue. You just have to have higher priority!

Anonymous said...

haha I know its strange. You think you'd get used to it but somethings just seem to get worse. For me its traffic.. motorkbikes at night without lights, things falling off trucks make my blood boil ! Chai yen yen.. keep a cool heart :-)

FĂ«anor said...

Ah, but at least you guys don't pretend to queue at all. In India, we form orderly queues until the bus or train arrives, whereupon it all collapses into a mad scrum. So, we flatter to deceive! :-)

Anonymous said...

I really like looking at pictures of good Vietnamese food and fresh seafoods they have over there. Could you take more pictures and maybe write where you took them so we could go there when we come for a visit? We are planning on coming this August as family vacation.

Vietsmile said...

My name Phuongj. 26 year old Vietnamese female. By chance I found your blog when I searching information about Huong Canh pottery village. I work in Tourism,too. I love reading your blog. Even I copied all of your Post to make a book.hihi.I'm really a fan of you. I live in Hanoi, I hope one day I will meet you and be your friend.hihi.my working place is 98 Ma May street.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tu

Its Diem here and I am now in Nhatrang until end of month.Been meaning to contact you but I was running behind my schedule. Looks like you have left for Hanoi but if you were still around in Nhatrang, please do not wait to send me an email ( diemsongs@yahoo.com) would be good to catch up with you

Diem

alan said...

There are those here who seem to think it doesn't apply to them, either, but thankfully they are few and far between so far!

Airlines on the other hand "overbook" continually and if you plan on flying you better get there early or check in from home and print your own boarding pass!

Still, you live in a place of great beauty!

alan

Anonymous said...

i stumbled upon your blog and i enjoy all these snippets of information you provide, especially about your country! i have been trawling around vietnam for months and it fascinates me. so thanks for doing what you do :)

p/s i'm from (antiseptic :/) singapore, and if you want to talk about queuing, well we must be the gods of that. singaporeans will queue up nice and orderly to take down the license plate number of cars in road accidents. for lottery luck..

Kylin said...

developing country have the developing "queue" :) no hostility, i am in China also hating this but it has been improved a lot. Don't worry, AS Strong AS possible:)

max said...

hey!! your town is a dream for many youg and i hope one day to come here!!
thank you for give us a little dream whith your picture!!!

Anonymous said...

I reached a breaking point about halfway through my six weeks in Vietnam, so I can only imagine how years will pile up the anger.

My bane was cyclo touts

Anonymous said...

you have a good point, i see this as a social problem that can be address. occasionally Vnexpress.net puts out pictures and stories like this, i think it's great, and it has a point about why we need to socially change.

Anonymous said...

It’s so nice site. We love to see more on this site. Keep on updating… MonkAreYou Bali *hjkmknmj

TINTIN said...

LOL~I think soon you'll get used to it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AD said...

You're right. Maybe it's a matter of routine that has been existing for too long. Some people even take it for granted or just don't know queuing does exist...
duonglamanh.typepad.com

Applecart T. said...

miss you! i hope you're not stuck in some line (queue) somewhere!

Van Cong Tu said...

hi all, thanks for your comments. Have a good day!!!

Unknown said...

Same Queueing experience as yourself and I wrote about it here http://viet.nam.travel