Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Our Friend In AThens

Liz and Angeliki

I don't want to talk about Athens at the beginning my trip as I want to talk about Greek people. I think Greek people, in general, are not really over welcoming to tourists unless they know you well or you speak a little Greek. Plus, as one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, they are quite complacent about tourists, which is understandable. But in this post, I want to talk about a women that I met in Athens who is my friend's friend. Her name's Angeliki and she's such an amazing woman. She is around 60 but really active, full of energy, friendly and really nice. She used to be a teacher for years and she's now as a social worker of Attila town which is just out of Athens. She's married with 2 kids and they all live away from home. She explained so much about the culture and life style of Greeks and life in and around Athens. However, for me, there was only one small problem - she drives a bit too fast but I never felt unsafe. She seems to know everywhere in Athens and I loved the sign on the back of her car - "Don't follow me, I'm lost too ".

Sounion

She loves travelling and she has been to many places around the world. She is actually now in the Ukraine with her lovely daughter for a month. We were so lucky to meet her here. Without her, we couldn't have made it to the special hidden places like Marathon, her home town, Attila, and the top of the mountain where we could see the whole of Athens by night at 10pm. Then she took us to have ice cream by the Acropolis at 11pm. On the mountain near her house, we visited a monastery in a pretty impressive location. The priests we met were amazing people and really professional in the way they explained everything.

Marathon

Thank you very much for all your great help, Angeliki. Meeting you was like a godsend that made our trip even more memorable and understanding about Greece and Greece's culture. I hope I can make another trip back here sometime in the future.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, you're the luckiest man in the world. keep up the great work
Tom - Cali

Anonymous said...

nice pics and love your blog abt travelling. keep it up!

Anonymous said...

it's good to know someone in the new place ,isn't it? Wishing you a good trip
Thanh

Anonymous said...

I love your photo. They are so beautiful. What kinds of camera do you use?
Thanks

Thuy said...

That's funny that you think she drives too fast. I think driving (or riding in car) in Vietnam is crazy. I was scared to death!

Anonymous said...

Sounds that she's a great women!
Kostas

Van Cong Tu said...

Thanks all.
Thuy, I agree :)

Vietnam tours said...

It is a wonderful work of art

Vietnam travel packages said...

Wow, I like photos, wonderful...