Saturday, February 16, 2008

Nha Trang - Happy New Year 2008!!!

Hang, Ly,Huyen, Van, Thao, Me and Tu

Chinese New Year in Viet Nam is called Tet. All over Vietnam, Tet is the family reunion time where everyone is supposed to return home for a few days. That includes me. I went back home for two weeks to be with my mother and my sisters and brother. Back in Nha Trang for two weeks isn't really enough as I couldn't try as much local food as I would like but at least I had such a great time with family and good friends.

Hao and Nhi

My family and I chose the Sailing Club to welcome the new year. This is a really beautiful bar right on the beach BUT it is a bit of a rip off place as well for beer as it's almost double price compared to other places in town. They have really good music, a great location right on the beach and everyone seemed to come here on New Years Eve for a drink or two and to see the fireworks. They also charged a $4 entrance fee that you can exchange for a small bottle of beer, soft drink or an awful jar of cocktail. Anyway, we had a great new years eve and I was a bit drunk at the end.

Tuan and Xiu

My mother was preparing lots of food at home waiting for us to return home. In Vietnam, it's very important that the first person to enter the home after the new year is someone who will bring the family good luck for the coming year. It also depends on that person's year of birth and normally the family choose. With my family, I am usually the first person every year because I always come home earlier than other people but not this year as my brother came home first. I hope we will have the greatest year this year.

Minh's daughters (2)

Happy New Year everyone and best wishes for the coming year. Welcome to 2008, the year of the Rat!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year and best wishes for you and your family. Keep up the great work
Hoang

Anonymous said...

Hi Tu,
I am very busy this time of the year and could not read your blog as often as before.

Anyway, is the first picture with yellow flowers a mai flower tree? I couldn't tell.

Glad to see you enjoying tết with your family.

How cold is Hà Nội?

Chị Lẩm Cẩm

Van Cong Tu said...

Thanks Hoang,
Hi Chi, Yes, that's mai flower. The weather in Hanoi at the moment is about 9 with rain and high humit, very cold for us.

Rhiannon said...

Chuc Mung Nam Moi! Long time, I know! I don't look much because then I dream to much. I HAVE to finish school before I can go to VN again.

Love to see that your happy and healthy. Wishing you more of the same in the year of the Rat!

TH