Saturday, January 26, 2008

Phu Quoc Part III

Squid fishing

I decided to take it easy, just laying on the hotel beach for the whole day then take a squid fishing trip in the evening for a few hours. The beach is really quiet not because I am the first one on the beach at 8am but that's just the atmostphere on Phu Quoc. There were only a few hotel staff hanging around cleaning and collecting rubbish and organizing chairs for hotel clients.

Fishing in Phu Quoc

I saw a few people driving their small fishing boats setting their nets along the beach then they stopped in front of my hotel before starting to pull the net from two different places which were about 2 kms long between each other. They were working so hard but they smiled all the time which is really nice. I saw quite a few kids around both on the boat and on the beach with their families trying to help pick up the fish and put water into the big fishing boxes. I'm sure they should be at school but I suppose their parents need them to help earn the family income.

Duong Dong market - Phu Quoc

So, I spent around three hours watching the activity of these people fishing at the beach then I decided to hire a motorbike and drive into town, check out everything and take some photos around the central market. The market was very interesting with a variety of food, mostly seafood with lots of huge fish, prawns and squid. People were posing for me and kept asking me to take more photos of them. They were laughing out loud when I showed them their own faces. This doesn't happen much in Vietnam. Normally people object to me when I want to take their picture.

Fishing in Phu Quoc

I also stopped at a fishing village near the market and it reminded me of the fishing villages near Nha Trang but much smaller. The standard of living around these areas seemed not very high as people rely mostly on fishing and working in the market or being a motorbike taxi but they seem very happy with their lives. There are lots of smile in Phu Quoc.

To be continued

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post.. really makes me want to go there!!!

Trinh Thach said...

Hey Godknows,

I enjoy reading your blog! all the stories and travel around Viet Nam makes me miss the country so much. Your mix of commentary and beautiful photography makes it a joyful experience every time I find a new post!

Trinh

Anonymous said...

if you have time, pay a visit to one of those fish sauce making plants (one of the reasons Phu Quoc is famous for). I didn't know the pure fish sauce has kinda dark blue color ...

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

Chúc mừng năm mới from Thailand!

D said...

Happy Tet!!!

Van Cong Tu said...

Hi all, thanks for your commnts.
Happy Tet