Sunday, November 26, 2006

Then and Now Part II

Pay day! Oh my gosh! I remember my father always gave most of his salary to my mother which was then deposited in the bank to get some profit and to be safe. My mother was in charge of everything in the house as well as her work at the rice company. My father was a hotel manager who took care of the accommodation for high class government officials.

Ducks- Le Duan street

I remember we had some chickens, ducks and pigs at home. I had to help my brother and sisters to cook the food for the pigs and give them a bath and sometimes had to take pig shit to my neighbors, and dig it into the land. Not the best household job! In those days, most families had pigs or chickens or ducks around their houses, but the most popular were pigs and chickens. We used to eat the chicken eggs and sell them to get money or exchange them for some other food.

"The system of distributing subsidised food produce affected people who did not work in agricultural section from the wartime until 1989. The system's rice stores were perhaps its most essentail components; people's lives were directly dependant on them". This was very true and my family were lucky because my mother was a rice shop manager so we had better options to choose our own rice and we didn't have to queue that much.

Words - history

Some people weren't as lucky as us. As Mr Ngo Duc Thinh, aged 63, prof.Ph.D, room 912, A6 Giang Vo Street, said "After taking the rice home I would open the sack immediately: if the rice wasn't smelly I would feel happy the whole day."

"His face is as sad as if he had lost his rice book!"(an idiom in subsidy period).

Tobe continued.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god, those ducks look abused. :o(

Monika said...

Hey!

I'm sorry about all of the issues at your job. I happy to read that you're much happier!

Cergie said...

Very touching post
That's lovely how you are speaking of your father and mother

The young ducks are so cute !
Then they'll be so good to eat !

Writer and Nomad said...

i love these then and now posts. it's very educational for me. it's also nice to reflect on how far you've come.

Vietnam tours said...

Thank nice post.

tours in vietnam said...

I 'm a travel copywriter .The contents of this article is really great, thanks for sharing!