Sunday, February 12, 2006

Wall says " I Am Cold"

Pissing against the wall along streets is not a good habit at all but it's common everywhere in Viet Nam. This is a real shame for people who have to walk past these people and have to smell the very bad smell. There is a lack of public toilets in Vietnam and, when you use them, you have to pay and most people don't want to pay for that or can't afford to pay for that. It seems that we don't care about the hygiene or beauty of the country but the Vietnamese government needs to provide cleaner, cheaper facilities. There is supposed to be a fine for pissing in public but I've never seen the police do anything about it.

I'm not really sure what can we do to stop this kind of bad behavior?

13 comments:

FooDcrazEE said...

hehehehhe! better than hcmc I Hope, where te old ladies just squat between the boulevard among the shrubs and ......

Preya said...

They do this in India too...always a real shocker for tourists! I agree with you though Tu, it's a stinky habit. Maybe there's some logistic reason that I'm missing, but why a wall anyway? Why not in a bush or something?

Anonymous said...

For the public toillets in the streets i can maybe understand... But I do not understand why my neighboor makes their child piss on their balcony instead to use their toillets!?!?

slurp! said...

hmmm ... imho, there are no quick solutions aside from education & slowly changing people's mindset. but i think that making public toilets more accessible is the very first step needed.

squish said...

It happens here in the states as well. The police do try to stop it. But homelessness and hiding places make it difficult. Frank conversation is the best way to change things like this sometimes.

squish

Buddhist with an attitude said...

preya, it's very simple: a wall allows a man to piss with some privacy, while a bush might not cover him completely.

Preya said...

Ohhhh....I get it. Though, I wonder if privacy is on these people's minds at all, hahaha.

Van Cong Tu said...

Hi all,
I think Vietnamese goverment has tried to do FINE many times but it still doesn't work. .

Andi said...

Here in the U.S., I have known at least one person who was arrested & had to go to court for this. They were fined & could have spent jail time.

Van Cong Tu said...

Hi thebluestbutterfly, I agree to do that too.

Anonymous said...

I piss from my front porch when I take the dogs out. Hey when you gotta go late at night in the dark, why not? It also helps keep skunks and other animals away. I like marking my territory also.

Van Cong Tu said...

I may do that if i drunk :)

Anonymous said...

European urinates on the street as well. Undeniably, it feels good. It's a man world.
Note: Don't do it against the wind though, one time I was standing at the edge of the ridge and peeing down the valley, suddenly the wind swirled from below and kicked the water to my face. Now that’s a fine!